Saturday, July 24, 2010

Corporate Politics

Corporate politics is a very realistic topic, in a sense that this topic prepares us for what we will all face in the future. It is very real and when being played well, it can help us a lot in our work. Corporate politics are inevitable in any organization and this topic teaches us how to deal with it and use it to our advantage.



One reason I find this topic important and very practical because even at our age, we have already begun experiencing another kind of Corporate Politics – Class Politics. In a class, there is bound to be cliques, the ‘cool’ gang, ‘social outcasts’, the gossipers and those that do not belong to any of the above.

Like any other students, I have also experienced Class Politics. Just recently, because of some misunderstanding during lessons, I have not been well-liked by my classmates, especially people from a particular clique because they thought I did something that ‘hurt’ them. I wanted to let the whole situation pass as we are only classmates for another 3 more weeks, but I couldn’t stand the constant gossip behind my back. I felt a lot of pressure because I couldn't stand being misunderstood and disliked. I couldn’t concentrate on doing anything because of this.

Due to the overwhelming pressure, I texted a girl from the clique the next day to explain my actions that had ‘hurt’ them. Then, things started turning out for the better as they stopped giving me ‘death stares’ and the cold shoulder and actually began talking to me. This example shows that I have defended myself against unfair politics by stopping others from bad mouthing. Although I kept telling myself that I did nothing wrong and shouldn’t care about what others think of me, it is actually easier said than done. I felt much better after clearing the air it’s as if a weight has been lifted off my chest.



The above example proves that Class Politics, like Corporate politics, can cause unnecessary stress to an individual, which in turn affects their work performance. The example also shows that this topic is very realistic and it will be more useful when we come out to work, when Corporate Politics are being played at a higher level and may affect us in many ways, causing us unnecessary work pressure.

Employees can feel stressful because of Corporate Politics and this in turn affects their job performance, job satisfaction and possibly their employment status. It is thus important that we play the game of politics well so that we can climb up the social and corporate ladder easier. Instead of feeling stressful over it, this topic turns the situation around and shows us how we can deal with it and use it to our advantage. All of these reasons are why I feel that the topic on Corporate Politics has impacted me a lot and find it very useful.

References:

www.awake2000.com/

http://www.lawcrossing.com/article/3105/Gossipers-Get-Fired/

No comments:

Post a Comment